" Forest school sessions in 'Wendy Wood' provide children with excellent opportunities to be physically active in the fresh air. Exciting activities inspire children to be highly capable and expert problem solvers. Practitioners are superb at teaching children how to take responsible risks. Consequently, children know how to keep themselves, and each other safe, and behave exceptionally well." - Ofsted
"The best classroom and the richest cupboard is roofed only by the sky"
Wendy Wood - an amazing place for children to learn
Unlike other Day Nursery's, The Wendy House is unique in that it can boast it's very own on-site Forest School affectionately known as 'Wendy Wood' - a place for the children to have fun, learn and explore the natural environment.
Forest Schooling is a method of working outdoors with children, focusing on their needs and using the natural environment to promote Personal, Social and Emotional development.
Why is Forest School such a great opportunity for your children?
1. It is proven from research that learning that takes place in the outdoors is much more powerful and memorable as all the senses are involved.
2. Forest Schools develop children through a child-led approach.
3. Children are taught how to assess risks for themselves.
4. Children are able to develop their speech, language, social skills and empathy.
5. Children learn to respect and appreciate the countryside.
Activities at Wendy Wood?
Children lead every session at Wendy Wood and as they become confident and accustomed to their surroundings, therefore every session is different and could include:
- Mud faces
- Shelter building and making charis, swings and ladders
- Collecting fire wood
- Climbing trees
- Using basic tools under supervision
- Nature walks
- Using a talking stick for listening and talking to each other around the fire circle
*Please note that children do not attend Forest School sessions at Wendy Wood until they join the Sunflower room (minimum age 2 years and 9 months). Children of all ages have full access to the remainder of the Nursery grounds
Follow us on Instagram and Facebook - click the links below...
thewendyhousedaynursery The Wendy House Day Nurseries